Obesity is now becoming a global epidemic. In fact, 20% of the world’s population are either overweight or obese. That’s more than 1 billion people!
Why is this and why is the number of people getting overweight increasing at a steady and alarming rate?
That is because of the foods that most people eat. We live in a fast-paced world where we do not have the time to prepare food ourselves.
So what do most people do? They buy fast food and they usually contain a high amount of fat and unwanted substances. The result? People get fat and overweight.
Since there are a lot of overweight people in the world, people think that it is widely acceptable to be fat. But, in this article, I will talk about the 5 reasons why being fat is NOT okay. Let’s start with the obvious which is…
- Health Reasons. The first major reason why being fat is not okay are for obvious health concerns. When you are fat, you are more susceptible to chronic diseases like diabetes, kidney failure, heart attacks, and so much more.
- Lower Activity Levels. When you are fat, you will spend more energy trying to do just normal menial tasks. Heck, even the act of getting up is a challenging endeavor. Sadly, getting even fatter leads to more inactivity because you will have lower energy levels than healthy people. This results in you getting fatter and fatter and every day, you’re inching yourself closer to harm.
- Higher Cost of Living. We live in a world where prices are constantly increasing. If you are fat and overweight, you will be spending more money because then, you will be eating a lot of foods out of habit. Furthermore, since your likelihood of getting chronic diseases increase the fatter you get, you will spend more money on medicines than healthy people. Not only that but the likelihood of you getting hospitalized is also exponentially higher than healthy individuals.
- Social Stigma. When I was still young, my fat classmates were always the topic of ridicule. They were always teased and they were always bullied. Some of them dropped out because they couldn’t handle the stigma anymore. This kind of thing is not only limited to the early childhood years. If you are an overweight adult, a lot of people will be talking about you. They might think you are lazy; they might think that you are not doing anything good with your life, and a host of other negative things people can say about you.
- Higher Risk of Early Death. This is tied to the first reason and that is why I want to make it the last. If you are overweight or obese, you will be at a higher risk of death. That is because of the complications that you might incur because of the chronic diseases I mentioned above.
Being fat is not okay. Although it is accepted in some parts of the globe, you should now think about how to become healthy. Why? Read the reasons I’ve outlined above and hopefully; those will be enough to convince you that being fat is NOT okay.